Monday, July 20, 2009

nighttime.


This weekend I was reminded of my favorite part of living in New York City: driving over the bridges at night. I love crossing the (Manhattan, Brooklyn, Williamsburg) Bridge, looking at the skyline lit up, and thinking: this is my city.

Usually I make the trip by myself from the back of a cab. The night is just starting and I have decided to afford myself the luxury of basking in anxious anticipation of what's to come. This past Saturday, I was crammed into the back of a friend's car and closed my eyes as the wind streaming through the window whipped my hair around.

Both scenarios are fantastic, and it seems as if I can only describe them in cliches.

Luckily, to offset the loveliness of the first ride is the inevitable second ride of the night. This one is taken to ensure I actually get home. I don't so much gaze at the scenery as glaze at it. By the time I reach my bed, I get to remind myself: "Whatever I did tonight is okay." Which is not so much part of my favorite bits of living in a city as it is a necessary one...

(image courtesy of visuallee.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment